The early days and weeks of parenthood can feel both overwhelming and unsettling. It is an exciting experience the arrival of a new baby, but there is so many changes to adapt to especially if it's is your first child. For many mums protecting and managing their baby's sensitive skin will play a big part in caring for their newborn baby. You can carry out small changes that can make a big difference to your baby's skin care.
- Do not use fragrance soaps or foaming cleansers when washing your baby this will dry out their skin.
- Always check the baby skin care products you purchase don't contain high concentrations of preservatives.
- Try to avoid excessive dry air, you can help this situation by turning down the heating in your baby's bedroom, we all know central heating dries out skins!
- Wash baby's clothes and bedding in a non biological washing powder, many products on the market have a mild or no fragrance ingredients as these have been evaluated for skin safety. Look out for products with the seal of approval from the British Allergy foundation if you are concerned.
- In addition, to ensure that your baby settles and is comfortable mums should make sure all fabrics in contact with their baby's skin are soft, absorbent and non-abrasive.